[Talk-us] border screwup by Techlady needs reverting

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:49:54 GMT 2011

On 3/25/2011 5:43 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
> Thank you for the apology.
>
> I don't think that revert is going to happen though. Even if I agreed
> that this was the solution, it would be a nightmare. I did a lot of
> boundary work in that changeset involving splitting circular county
> border ways, creating relations, deleting superfluous nodes and
> un-grouping boundary nodes that were joined to roads to satisfy the
> evil that is the duplicate node checker.

Perhaps simply moving the nodes back would be enough? This of course
wouldn't work if a lot of nodes were removed.

> In fact, my changes make it substantially easier to edit the border in
> the first place without creating additional conflicts or having to
> move a thousand useless nodes along the way. So how about instead of
> spending hours trying to undo even more hours of my work, you instead
> spend 10 minutes to improve upon it yourself?

I actually was going to move the two nodes, but then saw that there was
a bigger problem.

> I think Paul may have beaten you to it though. The nodes in question
> now appear precisely over the monuments. Colorado is safe for another
> day. Well... as long as they can avoid those wildfires...

That's nowhere near the extent of the damage.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?node=83787064 is supposed to be on the
state line. On
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/250k/txu-pclmaps-topo-us-moab-1962.jpg
(a bit south of the center) you can see a major imperfection in the
border just south of that crossing. Getting the exact lat/long of every
defined point on the border would be best, but the pre-Techlady status
was certainly better than it is now.