[Talk-us] Civil War sites

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Mar 28 15:29:59 BST 2011

On 3/28/11 10:21 AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>  wrote:
>> i'm debating whether or not i want to set up a parallel database, using
>> the OSM design, to contain historical data that can be used in a mashup
>> with OSM, and opening it up for historically minded mappers to use as
>> a laboratory for experiments in how one would tag this stuff.
> Actually, what might be really interesting is having a wikispaces type
> hosting environment where anyone could set up a separate OSM instance
> with a separate database, rails port, mapnik rendering with a custom
> stylesheet etc.

i was thinking this could also be a model for how to do things like
a separate boundary database, etc. i've long thought that some of the
issues we argue about would be made much simpler if we had a
core + layers model.
> This would be interesting to map historic data that's not appropriate
> for the main OSM database (for example, one OSM-space per
> battlefield), or to experiment with nonstandard tagging, or to create
> maps with non-OSM compatible licenses (although I would discourage the
> latter).

we should try one or two of these to get a better sense of what a
common solution ought to look like.

richard