[Talk-us] US Interstate exit junction exit_to tag

Mon Mar 28 16:56:17 BST 2011

At 2011-03-08 06:03, Mike N wrote:
>   The "Motorway Junction" tag at
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Motorway_junction has recently had the
>exit_to tag added.  Old interstate tagging advice at
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway was to put exit sign
>destinations in the "name" tag.   However this is not exactly correct,
>especially for the case of highways with named exits.

Can you give examples for what is a "named exit", versus the other kind?

I've tagged (perhaps seemingly) hundreds of freeway onramps and offramps,
including the exit numbers and names of the source and destination roads,
in a scheme that has raised some issues. I've proposed to move those that
I've done to a new scheme that is less conflicting here:
http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/3529/why-should-or-should-i-not-use-ref-on-links/3723
.

In the case of moving some of the name=* values to exit_to=*, I noted that
the name=* values are being rendered by Mapnik and Osmarender, and asked
whether those (and others) have been modified to use exit_to=* instead, to
which one user replied "don't tag for the renderer". While I understand
that concept, it seems to me that the renderer was apparently designed to
agree with the current schema, and I'm just asking if everyone wants their
exit names to stop being rendered until someone decides to fix the renderers?