[Talk-us] Announcing the DC Sidewalks Project

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 15:13:13 BST 2011

On 5/7/2011 9:57 AM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> What I've done is to create a customized PL2 instance which renders
> streets and highlights missing sidewalk data. I also provide a
> background layer of imagery, showing the pavement. From these two
> things, you can determine if a road has a sidewalk, and mark it up
> using a simple sidewalk={both|left|right|no} tag.

If you expand the project outside the US, you might want to avoid the
word 'pavement', which means sidewalk in the UK.

> This will allow a router to determine if the street is walkable.

It's certainly more pleasant to walk on a sidewalk, and a router should
prefer sidewalks, but any street is walkable unless tagged foot=no. You
simply walk on the side of the road, against traffic.