[Talk-us] Do we want overlaps to be rendered? Or do we want to wait for relation support that may never come?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue May 10 12:08:07 BST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 5/4/2011 10:54 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>
>> I encourage anyone with Mapnik coding experience to read through
>> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2675 , especially my suggestion for
>> multiline shields. I may be wrong, but it seems that this would be easy
>> to implement, and would be strictly better than the current setup where
>> very few overlaps display.
>>

> So I barely managed to get Mapnik working and played around a bit with
> shields. I didn't realize that each size shield was a separate image file. I
> guess that makes it a little harder - you need to filter by maximum line
> length after breaking at semicolons. I figured Mapnik just took the text,
> put a fill behind it, and rounded off the corners. If that were so, it would
> be a lot simpler to use wrap_character=";" like the motorway_junction code
> does.

Or you could simply apply the shields to the geometries created by route
relations, greatly simplifying the ref parsing crap. Since the tile server
is running Mapnik trunk-ish now, you should be able to use the SVG
symbolizers (which should allow you to specify the contents of an SVG using
a DB value rather than having separate SVGs for each shield).