[Talk-us] Do we want overlaps to be rendered? Or do we want to wait for relation support that may never come?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:40:17 BST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 5/10/2011 8:17 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> It sounded to me like you were working on rendering with Mapnik. As I've
>> mentioned several times, osm2pgsql creates linestrings for route
>> relations, so all you need to do is apply the Mapnik rules to those
>> route relation geometries.
>>

> I was playing around a bit with the shapefile support using the demo file
> and putting parts of osm.xml in, enough to see how shields are rendered. I
> was unable to get .osm support installed, and certainly can't start to do
> anything with osm2pgsql. I'm a data monkey rather than a code monkey.

You don't need to do anything with osm2pgsql beyond run it. Just follow the
Mapnik tutorial on the wiki. Something like this:

1) Install postgresql and postgis.
2) Create a postgis database
3) Grab an OSM file for the area you care about
4) Run osm2pgsql your-osm-file.osm
5) Start building mapnik rules to match the relations

I'm a data monkey, too, but I know that my data's only good when I can get
people see it.