[Talk-us] US highway classification

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri May 27 14:34:05 BST 2011

On 5/27/11 9:26 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 5/27/2011 12:32 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
>> Would I be correct in stating that tagging an undivided 2 lane (one lane
>> in each direction) highways would be improper, even if a state calls the
>> highway a "trunk" for planning purposes? Especially if it's in the
>> middle of a town with a low speed limit. I understood trunk to be
>> divided and limited access (but not fully grade-separated).
>
> No, trunk is also used for a major intercity highway that's not a
> freeway. Take a look at the UK and their network of trunks.

and we have no functioning definition of what constitutes a major intercity
highway in the US.

which is to day, i don't agree with many of your upgrades, but i've chosen
not to engage in an edit war in the map nor have i chosen to engage in
flame wars on this list about it, but there is no consensus on what
constitutes
a trunk in the US, and i believe your position is an outlier.

richard