[Talk-us] US highway classification

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 17:21:09 BST 2011

On 5/27/2011 12:00 PM, Alex Mauer wrote:
> On 05/27/2011 09:06 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
>> if you peruse the wiki, and make a reasonably through search
>> for definitions of trunk in the US, you will find an extensive
>> complex of contradictions and inconsistencies.
>
> Maybe someone should find all these and bring it up on the list so that
> a definition can be determined and the inconsistencies can be fixed?

I have tried in the past. The problem is that nobody can agree on which
definition to use (even in the trunks must have four lanes camp, there's
the Texas style, where everything with four lanes and a median is trunk,
and the expressway style, where only limited-access surface expressways
are trunk). Hell, even motorway is controversial (Seattle's Alaskan Way
Viaduct is marked as trunk when it should be motorway).

I'm all for consistency, even if it's not the way I currently tag. But
this doesn't seem to be an attainable goal.