[Talk-us] US highway classification

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 06:41:15 BST 2011

On 5/27/2011 10:41 PM, Nathan Mills wrote:
> Besides, if importance to the route network is the only consideration,
> we ought not be using trunk at all or all US highways ought to be
> classed as trunk.

Eh? A lot of U.S. Highways are no longer the most important highways,
since they are paralleled by Interstates. Others never were the primary
route (US 6 between Chicago and northwestern Pennsylvania, for example).
In other cases, state-numbered highways are more major than roughly
parallel U.S. Highways (example: SR 111 in eastern Tennessee is a
four-lane Appalachian corridor, while US 127, a county to the east, is
somewhat less).