[Talk-us] US highway classification

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun May 29 06:00:25 BST 2011

On 5/29/2011 12:37 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
> US-441 between St. Cloud and Yeehaw Junction could easily be trunk by
> NE2's definition
Nope, since any through traffic will be on the Turnpike. US 441 serves
mainly only local and toll-avoiding traffic, and the latter is
better-off cutting east to I-95 via US 192.

Now US 441 south of Yeehaw might be, given that it provides access to
the entire east side of Lake Okeechobee from central Florida (and so
FDOT has put it on their Statewide Intermodal System). But in Florida I
tried to stick with rural four-lanes and their continuations.

A decent example of parallel trunk and primary can be seen east of
Gainesville. Both SR 20 and SR 26-100 connect Gainesville to Palatka,
and are about the same length. But SR 200 is the better route, having
been partially four-laned. (Yes, SR 26 could be secondary, but it's more
major than the average secondary.)

 > primary rather than trunk (as many of them were for years before NE2
> went off and changed them).
Since most of those were primary from the TIGER import, that's not a
very strong argument for keeping them primary.