[Talk-us] US highway classification

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun May 29 07:18:09 BST 2011

On 5/29/2011 1:50 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 01:00:25 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> On 5/29/2011 12:37 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
>>> US-441 between St. Cloud and Yeehaw Junction could easily be trunk by
>>> NE2's definition
>> Nope, since any through traffic will be on the Turnpike. US 441
>> serves mainly only local and toll-avoiding traffic, and the latter is
>> better-off cutting east to I-95 via US 192.
>
> It's actually faster to take 441 to Yeehaw and get on the turnpike there
> when traveling from eastern and southeastern Orlando to points south of
> Port St. Lucie.
Even with the four-laning of 192? That's still a relatively small amount
of traffic - people from a certain part of Orlando (eastern but not too
far east) who want to go south. The principal route from Orlando to
Miami is obviously the Turnpike, even if a there's a better route from a
few parts of the Orlando area.

> Speaking of misclassification around Orlando, why on did you make
> Alafaya Trail south of Curry Ford primary?
To distinguish it from the adjacent secondaries, which are similarly
more major than the tertiaries. It's a balancing act, not an exact science.

We're obviously getting nowhere here. You think trunk should be used for
certain physical characteristics, and other people think it should be
used for a slightly different set. I think a more systematic approach
makes sense, classifying the most major routes in the system as trunk.
Again, even under that view, there will be disagreement over where the
line is drawn. But you seem to be rejecting that it's even a valid
option, like if someone were to insist that primaries must have at least
four lanes, or that tertiaries must have a centerline.