[Talk-us] Ideas for OSMF US Swag

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun May 29 14:49:29 BST 2011

My idea was to write letters to the editors of all the local
newspapers, in each letter we would tell the about the map and invite
them to look at the local map of thier area

I wrote a script to automate the usage of the press center :
http://capwiz.com/aauw/dbq/media/

here is the code, you can use that to send ca. 5000 letters
http://fmtyewtk.blogspot.com/2011/05/script-to-write-letters-to-editors.html

thanks,
mike
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thea Aldrich wrote:
>>>
>>> Our question to the
>>> community is: If you like this idea, what types of branded materials would
>>> you like?
>>>
>> I think it is a great idea and is the sort of thing a local chapter can be
>> useful for to support the community and help spread the word.
>>
>> One thing that would imho be useful is to create flyers [1] to hand out to
>> people who haven't heard about OSM to explain what OSM is about and why
>> people should care to contribute.
>>
>> From what I have gathered, the German flyer [2] has been quite a success
>> with apparently 40.000 flyers printed and distributed to date. There is now
>> also an English flyer which the UK chapter distributes for free [3], but it
>> only extends its offer to UK.
>>
>> So perhaps OSMF-US could print and distribute a similar flyer in the US,
>> although it might be good to adapt it to fit the needs of the US better
>> first.
>
> There is at least one English language flyer around.  If I recall the
> biggest hold up is that nobody volunteered to do the actual mailings
> from a US address.  Is somebody willing to do that?  ideally, the
> volunteer would send out flyers each week in response to the requests.

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania
flossk.org flossal.org