[Talk-us] US highway classification

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun May 29 21:03:25 BST 2011

On 05/29/2011 12:56 PM, Anthony wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo-PVOPTusIyP/srOwW+9ziJQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On 05/29/2011 08:37 AM, Anthony wrote:
>>> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty-Fu78d/DMHRmZEsiFbgKFjg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Now that I think about it, that's actually an excellent reason why
>>> classifications in the US should be by state.  Max speeds vary
>>> significantly by state, as well as classifications of what roads get
>>> what speeds.
>>
>> So how would that bring us closer to having global consistency, since
>> the scope of OSM is worldwide?
>
> What do you mean by "global consistency" and why is it desired?

Having some kind of uniformity on a large scale means you wouldn't have
to learn how to read the map again just because you moved or traveled to
an arbitrary jurisdiction.  Also provides consistency for routers, since
I can pretty much guarantee there's not a router out there that
arbitrarily changes it's behavior based on what part of OpenStreetMap
it's looking at...