[Talk-us] Address improvement through imports?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Nov 2 16:19:50 GMT 2011

Anthony,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Address range information can be derived from existing TIGER data quite
>> simply.
>
> I'm not sure how simple it is.  It's simple in cases where TIGER data
> matches up very closely with OSM data.  But that isn't universally
> true.  And where it doesn't match up very closely, chances are high
> that the TIGER data is out of date or incorrect.
>
> Which brings me to the conclusion that there's no point in importing
> TIGER address information.  A geocoder can simply try to find the
> address in OSM, and fall back to TIGER if the address isn't in OSM.
> Then, once the lat/lon is obtained (possibly from the external TIGER
> database), it can simply pass the lat/lon back into OSM for routing
> purposes (possibly along with a warning that TIGER data was used,
> which is quite likely to be be out of date and/or inaccurate.

I'm all for not importing data where there's existing data people can
use, but in the case of TIGER addresses you could actually make a
point for importing: OSM could be a platform for improving that
address data (like it should be for the GNIS points). 'All we need' is
a suitable microtasking platform.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore