[Talk-us] OpenStreetMap use by (local) governments - examples?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Nov 7 19:30:00 GMT 2011

Richard,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>> All:
>> I am trying to engage with the local government here in SLC and I'd
>> love to provide them with some practical examples of how the use of
>> OpenStreetMap has benefited local government. Who knows of a US /
>> N-American example? Are there any?
>
> Dear Martin,
>
> Natural Resources Canada (specifically the Centre d'information
> topographique de Sherbrooke) is Canada's  national mapping agency.
> They have allowed OSM to use their GeoBase, CanVec and other data sets
> for inclusion in OpenStreetMap.  Some of the staff there are also OSM
> contributors.  All of that is pretty cool.  The also publish their
> updated geo data in .osm format.  I'm not aware of another government
> agency that does that.  And they use changes in OSM and significant
> differences between OSM and their data to suggest areas of interest
> for their surveys and updates.

I did not know that their involvement went that far. I'm particularly
interested in the difference trigger; I think a lot of local
governments could use OSM in such a way given there's an active local
community of some substance. That way they would avoid the legal
pitfalls of directly using OSM data (incompatibility of PD and
CC-BY-SA/ODbL and possilbly liability, IANAL) and still benefit from
community knowledge. It would be great if we could provide some sort
of manual / how-to for governments on how to do that *mental note*.

> I'm told that they have plans for other initiatives that involve OSM
> but those are not yet active projects.

I'll try and keep tabs on them. Do they post on the list or edit the
wiki themselves that you know?

Best,
Martijn
--