[Talk-us] Address improvement through imports?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Nov 14 03:45:07 GMT 2011

On 11/10/2011 04:22 AM, Anthony wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Steven Johnson<sejohnson8 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The Census Bureau, through their partnerships and liaisons with state
>> &  local govt, are acutely aware of the need and importance of address data.
>> They are in fact open to finding ways to make the data available and still
>> protect the privacy of individuals. It will likely take a while to get a
>> change in policy, stand up some mechanism to provide data, create protocols
>> for privacy protection, etc. but the fact that they're seriously considering
>> these changes is progress.
Until that happens, I encourage you to look into parcel data.  It is
becoming
more widely available, and is of very high quality (governments want
their taxes).
Zillow, Redfin and Google are all over this data.

http://www.ccmap.us/Details.asp?Product=134492
http://www.acgov.org/gis.htm
http://assessor.lacounty.gov/extranet/outsidesales/price.aspx
http://www.alamance-nc.com/d/gis/gis-downloads.html

The parcel data is a superset of address data... and (remember that bit
about taxes) far more up to date than TIGER.

                 -Bryce

NB: In California there is a law that prohibits publication of a public
official's name and address together: many gis departments punt and
remove /all/ name information rather than violate that law, despite the
fact that ownership data and property transfers are public records.