[Talk-us] Any mappers local to NYC/LI?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Nov 16 17:43:57 GMT 2011

On 11/16/2011 09:18 AM, Skye Book wrote:
> I'm doing a ton of work with the data made available from the city as of late and a gripe from some people employed by the local government about OSM is that it isn't making full use of the data that the city is putting out there for consumption.  Indeed, there is a ton of information that we can bringing into the dataset (streetlights, building outlines for the five boroughs, etc).
>
> Anyone is interested in ganging up on this, or discussing the NYC data situation with researchers as well as GIS analysts would be most welcome.  Any takers?
I wanted to import NYC water fountain locations, but determined the
license terms were completely inappropriate.  It was a non-starter.

I'm also leery of one-way imports, as the data starts to diverge.  I
think the real power exists when crowdsourced corrections have a chance
of at least alerting the official agencies about bad data.  Osm as a
conversation, rather than osm as a dumping ground, makes sense.

                                                 -Bryce

PS: Check out "osmsync <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmsync>" for
a tool working in this direction.  Osmsync is particularly good for the
rare situation where you have a frequently updated authoritative data
source.  For example car sharing locations: there are lots of them, and
they change frequently.  I use osmsync to reconcile what is in osm with
the car sharing reservation data.

Each osm record is tagged with "source" and "source:pkey", so that osm
changes can be tracked back their original official record.