[Talk-us] What does the community want from a US local chapter?

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Oct 3 11:50:29 BST 2011

On 10/2/2011 11:07 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> The swamp, being mostly water, is of
> course, level, and without any tree cover or hills for nearly a half
> mile in any direction, and having been using the GPS for pedestrian
> navigation all afternoon, made me quite surprised to see the geolocation
> data for the photo (taken just inches above the benchmark) was off by
> almost half a mile.

   This is most likely the photo subsystem error - when switched to
photo mode it tried to get a new fix, but the photo was taken before the
fix.  So it just used the last known location (for wherever the photo
subsystem gets the location).   I've seen this error on the iPhone.
Actual GPS accuracy can be observed from the pedestrian navigation app.

   I have a camera with built in GPS which does the same thing; the GPS
can be accurate when it gets a fix, but it takes so long to acquire that
it's useless.   And if it doesn't get a new fix, it just assigns that
last position to the new photo.