[Talk-us] REST Services

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sun Oct 23 19:33:50 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Randal Hale
> <rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know there's probably a better list to send this to...
>>
>> The county (Hamilton County, TN) I reside in is pumping out their 2010
>> Imagery over a REST "Service" or whatever I'm supposed to call it. I can
>> completely use this in Arcmap. Can I use this in Merkaartor or JOSM? So far
>> I have found a few other messages from people with the same problem digging
>> around on the intertubes - but no answer. It may be right in front of me and
>> I'm just
>
> You're probably talking about ArcGIS's REST interface. It's basically a
> "simplified" or RESTful WMS service.
> There is no way to access the ArcGIS REST interface directly from JOSM at
> this point. There might be a way to hack it with the undocumented Imagery
> keywords, but what I've been doing is adding it to the tile.osm.osuosl.org
> tile server [0] as a tile proxy source and using it from there.
> If you give me the REST API's URL I can add that relatively quickly and spit
> back a tile URL you can add to JOSM or Potlatch.

Sounds like the same interface that Virginia uses for their VBMP
orthoimagery. Just so others know, if the projection offered by the
ArcGIS server isn't OSM-style (EPSG:3857, EPSG:900913, etc), and the
Export Map functionality isn't backed by raw imagery (i.e. it's just
tiled at the given projection, such as one of the state plane
systems), then it's likely Ian's method won't work. Unfortunately this
is the case with Virginia's server.

-Josh