[Talk-us] Planning to "import" speed limit data for Florida

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 00:47:07 BST 2011

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/statistics/gis/roaddata.shtm
This is public domain per Microdecisions, Inc. v. Skinner (though I'm
waiting on a reply from FDOT confirming that they agree).

After checking all current maxspeed tags against the data to ensure
accuracy, I plan to use this as a background layer in JOSM and manually
split existing ways at speed limit changes. Tags added will be
maxspeed=* and source:maxspeed=FDOT "Maximum Speed Limits" GIS data,
updated August 27, 2011:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/statistics/gis/roaddata.shtm
I will only do this for state roads, as a quick look shows that it
cannot be relied on for county roads.
I may in the future add other tags from the same data, such as access
management.