[Talk-us] Planning to "import" speed limit data for Florida

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 06:19:49 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 9:57 PM, Dale Puch wrote:
>>
>> Anyways that is why I am interested in how you plan to attack it.
>
> I haven't started, but I plan to convert to .osm using gpsbabel and then use
> the JOSM 'routes' plugin to color the maxspeed values of the background.

This seems like an interesting project. I didn't think using the
routes plugin would work at first but looking again, that actually
seems like a neat way of doing it. I was envisioning having to export
to a georeferenced image file and loading it into JOSM as an imagery
layer.

However I don't think gpsbabel is the right tool to convert the
shapefile. From what I can see, gpsbabel just creates tagless ways.
You can hard-code tags to add but I don't see any options to pull
attributes out of the shapefile and put them into tags. I think you
will need to use shp2osm or ogr2osm or something like that.

<5 minutes later...>
In fact, it had been too long since I fired up ArcMap so I played
around with the file a bit and ended up reprojecting it to WGS84 and
running it through ogr2osm. It put extra spaces in the tag values and
all the keys are upper case but other than that it seems like a usable
file. I can get it to you if you want.

Toby