[Talk-us] Planning to "import" speed limit data for Florida

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:16:45 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/2011 1:19 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> I haven't started, but I plan to convert to .osm using gpsbabel and then
>>> use
>>> the JOSM 'routes' plugin to color the maxspeed values of the background.
>>
>> This seems like an interesting project. I didn't think using the
>> routes plugin would work at first but looking again, that actually
>> seems like a neat way of doing it. I was envisioning having to export
>> to a georeferenced image file and loading it into JOSM as an imagery
>> layer.
>>
>> However I don't think gpsbabel is the right tool to convert the
>> shapefile. From what I can see, gpsbabel just creates tagless ways.
>> You can hard-code tags to add but I don't see any options to pull
>> attributes out of the shapefile and put them into tags. I think you
>> will need to use shp2osm or ogr2osm or something like that.
>
> It lets you export one tag using -i shape,name=SPEED.

Ah guess I didn't understand the usage quite right. I also didn't see
any options to reproject since the shapefiles are in NAD83.

>> <5 minutes later...>
>> In fact, it had been too long since I fired up ArcMap so I played
>> around with the file a bit and ended up reprojecting it to WGS84 and
>> running it through ogr2osm. It put extra spaces in the tag values and
>> all the keys are upper case but other than that it seems like a usable
>> file. I can get it to you if you want.
>
> This would probably be best since I'll have to deal with the ROAD_SIDE field
> as well.

http://ni.kwsn.net/~toby/OSM/FL_maxspeed.osm.gz

If you have trouble dealing with the extra spaces I can clean it up
tomorrow. Bed time now. But it looks like it is just putting in the
same number of spaces in front of the numbers for some reason.

Toby