[Talk-us] [KS] anyone familiar with this area?

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sat Sep 3 22:03:49 BST 2011

* Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> [2011-09-03 14:43 -0500]:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> > I just stumbled upon this rail yard (?) near Eudora, KS.
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.9233&lon=-95.0096&zoom=14&layers=M
> > Does anyone know what this is?
>
> It's an ammunition plant:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_Army_Ammunition_Plant

I've seen quite a few military bases with previously-extensive,
now-abandoned rail networks.  Indian Head, Maryland has one of the more
complex ones in the area.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.5823&lon=-77.1805&zoom=14&layers=M
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Indian_Head_Naval_Surface_Warfare_Center

I think there's a bunch of abandoned rails in Aberdeen Proving Ground,
Maryland's largest military base, area-wise, but there's no good aerial
imagery of it anywhere.  I suspect planes aren't allowed overhead (even
though Fort Meade, home of the NSA, is well-imaged).

--- --
The notion dies hard that in some sort of way exports are patriotic but
imports are immoral.
                       -- Lord Harlech