[Talk-us] access=destination vs access=private

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Sat Sep 10 04:00:06 BST 2011

> Do you think it makes more sense to tag the apartment complexes as
> access=destination or access=private? The complexes are not usually private.

I'd even consider not putting access restrictions on them at all,
unless there is some rule that you shouldn't be using them as a
through street.  What if you are walking or on a bicycle?

I generally only put access=private on roads that explicitly say
private on the sign.  A lot of condo complexes around here have a sign
on the driveway saying private property, no tresspassing, etc.
Apartments complexes usually don't have such a sign.

I use access=destination whenever I see the sign "no thru traffic."
("no thru trucks" is hgv=destination).  Also, I use access=destination
for things like roads into cemeteries, since presumably they don't
want people drive through them to get somewhere faster.

Peter