[Talk-us] access=destination vs access=private

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Sep 10 04:47:48 BST 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 23:00 -0400, Peter Dobratz wrote:

> I generally only put access=private on roads that explicitly say
> private on the sign.  A lot of condo complexes around here have a sign
> on the driveway saying private property, no tresspassing, etc.
> Apartments complexes usually don't have such a sign.

That seems to be contrary to the norm in Oregon and especially Oklahoma.
In states that permit lethal force to protect life or property, gated or
not, these are roads to avoid in an effort to prevent a potentially
mortal mistake (not so much a concern in urban areas as it is in
semi-rural and small town locations, particularly in the deserts and
mountains of Oregon where law enforcement is effectively non-existant,
and small town, semi-rural and rural locations in Oklahoma where people
have a pretty clear idea who should be around.)

> I use access=destination whenever I see the sign "no thru traffic."
> ("no thru trucks" is hgv=destination).  Also, I use access=destination
> for things like roads into cemeteries, since presumably they don't
> want people drive through them to get somewhere faster.

I don't believe that use to be disputed for public and permissive
streets (such as Hall Boulevard crossing Cedar Mill Crossing) streets.