[Talk-us] access=destination vs access=private

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:33:54 BST 2011

On 9/11/2011 3:12 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
> Re: Kansas
>
> "Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of
> the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the
> driver of a vehicle ..."

So you turn into the driveway and switch to pedestrian mode at the
instant you cross the sidewalk, and are therefore no longer upon a
roadway :)

Seriously, I'd say this is probably a very gray area of the law. I'm
sure there are many streets that are marked 'no thru traffic' but are
inventoried if not signed as parts of a medium-distance bike route. So a
bike router is probably better-off ignoring access=destination in
general, unless the user specifies that he wants to follow the letter of
the law.