[Talk-us] access=destination vs access=private

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sun Sep 11 13:28:03 BST 2011

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 04:34 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> > On 9/11/2011 4:25 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > Beaverton, Oregon, in all their wisdom, likes to post roads as
> "DEAD
> > > END" or "NO OUTLET" when it clearly does have an outlet, just not
> for
> > > motor vehicles.
> >
> > I'm not sure what this has to do with access tags, since these are
> > advisory (yellow) signs. Only a regulatory (white) "no thru traffic"
>
> > would be access=destination.
>
> It's an example of a situation where if you're on a bicycle it might
> be
> better to pay attention to the GPS or the directions given than to
> take
> a sign that indicates there's no physical way out except the way you
> came as being accurate.

Sometimes the "Dead End" sign is out of date.  In one case I know of, here in Nashville, TN, a pair of formerly dead-end streets were connected together to make a through street.  The city promptly took down one of the "Dead End" signs, but left the other one in place for over a decade before finally removing it.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com