[Talk-us] What should a US map of OSM data look like

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:41:45 BST 2011

On 9/12/2011 5:57 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> A few of us were just asking on irc what a US-style tile theme would
> look like?

Many printed US maps emphasize divided highways (often including
undivided multilane highways). Perhaps a thicker line style at low zooms
where lanes>=4 or oneway=yes -lanes=1.

A separate color for toll=yes (like MapQuest does, but also for toll
non-motorways).

Fix bloody Georgia and the way the trunks (and other highways) blend
into the trees.

Render shields at lower resolutions, since the US is not as dense as the UK.

De-emphasize railways at lower zooms.

Label motorways with both name and number where both are tagged (this
would be useful even in Europe).

 > Ian Dees liked the idea of fewer different colors for roads, blue /
 > motorway, green / trunk, red / primary ...

I'm not sure what the point of this would be - there's definitely enough
variation in importance for all these classifications to be useful.

 > For extra credit, can it also look good in Canada and Mexico?

Canada and the US have rather similar road systems, so what works in one
should be good for the other. I believe Mexico has a fair number of
rural non-motorway toll roads.