[Talk-us] Brainstorm: What should a US map of OSM data look like

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:47:05 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Brad Neuhauser
<brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Towns appear at zoom level 9 in Mapnik, which seems pretty decent to me.
>  There are tagged "towns" in SW Kansas that show up, but some "villages"
> probably need retagging to "towns" in the N and W.  The Place page
> recommends tagging county seats as towns regardless of population:
>  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Place   I started "upgrading" some
> county seats in NW MN to "town", which helps fill things in, I
> think: http://osm.org/go/WprNC4--

Hmm I think that page on the wiki has changed since I last looked at
it. The county seat bit is probably a good idea. But even then, there
have been a couple of previous discussions about place name renderings
in the US so I think we can still leave it on the brainstorming list
for things to consider for a US specific rendering.

Toby