[Talk-us] Brainstorm: What should a US map of OSM data look like

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:37:02 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> Let's keep this more "brainstormy" and less "discuss-y and debate-y"
> for now, okay?
>
> Trim and add your ideas to the list for your reply.  We'll come back
> around for discussion later. ;-)
>
> A few of us were just asking on irc what a US-style tile theme would look
> like?
>
> - distinguish divided highways
> - distinguish toll roads
> - deconflict trunk / tree colors
> - Render shields at lower resolutions
> - De-emphasize railways at lower zooms.
> - Label motorways with both name and number where both are tagged
> - Fewer road colors

Richard, thanks for starting this conversation! It was good to hear
everyone's ideas.

I'd like to figure out a way to start working collaboratively on getting a
style started. Has anyone tried to collaboratively work on a style file
before? Is there anyone interested in working with on it with me? I was
thinking about firing up a publicly-accessible Tilemill instance on a
representative set of US data and going from there.

Any other, better ideas?