[Talk-us] What does the community want from a US local chapter?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Sep 30 18:03:32 BST 2011

I believe that the core tasks of the US Chapter should be 1) to
support and help grow the community, and 2) engage with existing and
potential professional users to stimulate awareness and adoption.
Defining the map itself should not be among them, this is and should
always be a community effort, even though it is sometimes a cumbersome
process. If you're saying that the Chapter could do something to
support reaching a consensus or define the issue more clearly, such as
facilitating a working group or a wiki clean-up, I could not agree
more. But I don't see the Chapter going in and defining a definitive
(is there even such a thing?) tagging scheme for roads. That would
have the Chapter claim a mandate that it was never given and would
only serve to divide the community rather than strengthening it.

Martijn