[Talk-us] Addition of building footprints in selected U.S. and Canadian cities

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:55:45 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Nathan Mills <nathan at nwacg.net> wrote:
> > On 4/2/2012 12:06 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> >>
> >> I offer TIGER as counterevidence. It's imperfect but a great starting
> >> point for local mappers, especially those without a GPS setup.
> >

> > This is definitely true for those of us in areas with few mappers.
>
> For some of you.  I've had conversations with approximately equal
> numbers of mappers who feel as you do, and potential mappers who look
> at TIGER and say, "Finished. Nothing for me to do."  And there are
> those who arrive and look at TIGER and say, "I have to start by fixing
> that mess? No thanks."

Then OSM is doing a bad job at messaging. It's no longer just a road
network project, it's a map project. We should show that there's other data
to add beyond a semi-complete TIGER import. If you show a new person
openstreetmap.org and they say to you "done!" and move on, then you should
ask them if their house, their school, their zoo, their supermarket, etc.
are on the map and to add them if they're not. If you're not there, then we
should think about how to have the website ask for you.

Let's stop blaming people trying to improve the map by adding data in the
right way and start looking at ways to help those that are distracted by
all that data.