[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Tue Apr 3 10:19:31 BST 2012

Ngày 2012-04-02 5:25 AM, Phil! Gold viết:
> There are actually two shield styles we have.  There's the cutout-style
> that you see by default and another style you can switch to that more
> closely resembles the roadside reassurance signs for the routes.  The
> cutouts will probably load faster--more of them have been rendered
> already--but please take a look at the other one, too; I'd like to know
> which one people prefer.

Thank you for using cutout-style shields. They look great!

> I'm not an expert on every state, so I'm particularly interested in
> whether things look good to the natives of each state and, if not, what
> could make them look better.

Displaying concurrent shields in bunches is certainly an improvement
over all the maps that just pick one shield to display, and they look
like reassurance sign assemblies to boot. But it's still strange to see
shields hanging off either side of a north-south stretch of road. [1]

I'd prefer to see the shields strung out along the concurrency, with no
spacing between each shield. That would be especially helpful where the
concurrency's shields happen to appear near a junction. Google Maps does
that, but they space the shields apart somewhat.

Better yet, two routes of the same network could share a vertically
stretched shield, like on printed maps. So US 25/42 would look like
this, if you'll pardon the crude ASCII art:

  _vv_
  )25(
( 42 )
   \/

Ohio's and Kentucky's shields look perfect. How about replacing the
words "INDIANA" and "ILLINOIS" with slightly larger "I N" and "I L" for
readability? [2]

[1] http://elrond.aperiodic.net/mtiles/cutouts/15/8690/12512.png
[2]
http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=15&lat=38.68386&lon=-87.53913&layers=B0