[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Wed Apr 4 13:55:17 BST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> I stayed up way too late last night.  Try visiting those URLs again.
> (Once again, most of the map will rerender after you've looked at it so
> the way to see the changes in different areas is to look at them once then
> come back as much as a half hour later.)  Other places that I know are
> rerendered include these:
> http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=14&lat=37.27562&lon=-79.93635&layers=B0
> http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=13&lat=40.12983&lon=-74.71446&layers=B0

Amazing, this looks fantastic! Can't wait to see this as the official
map of OSM US.

Is this something that could be used in a Carto stylesheet, or does it
use special syntax only supported by XML?

I know it's not really relevant to this thread, but since you have a
separate stylesheet from the standard OSM one, maybe you could reduce
the prominence of standard highway labels on residential/unclassified
highways:
http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=15&lat=38.78332&lon=-77.30564&layers=B0
https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/4183

-Josh