[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Minh Nguyen mxn at 1ec5.org
Wed Apr 4 19:54:14 BST 2012

Ngày 2012-04-02 5:25 AM, Phil! Gold viết:
> I'm not an expert on every state, so I'm particularly interested in
> whether things look good to the natives of each state and, if not, what
> could make them look better.

More requests: in addition to its circular-shield state highway system,
Kentucky also has an ad-hoc "parkway" network. [1] At least some of them
are tagged `network=US:KY:Parkway` with a shield URL in `symbol`.

Unfortunately, Kentucky has made these highways' shield designs more and
more intricate over the years, most recently for the state's "Unbridled
Spirit" tourism campaign, to the point that they're more appropriate as
entire guide signs than shields. I know you prefer to keep true to the
official signage, but the various shields are simply illegible at the
current size. One way to simplify them would be to use the routes'
two-letter abbreviations. [2] At least some of the abbreviations (WK,
BG) do appear in everyday usage because old shields once used them.

Adding to the mess, the AA Highway is a special case that I *think*
belongs in `network=US:KY` as `ref=AA` (but correct me if I'm wrong,
NE2). [3] It'd be nice to get that shield on the map, too.

Finally, I just added `network=US:OH` and `symbol` to the Ohio Turnpike,
à la Pennsylvania. [4] Looks like the Indiana Toll Road has no relation yet.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kentucky#Kentucky_parkways
[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parkways_and_named_roads_in_Kentucky#List_by_designation
[3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/409222