[Talk-us] NHD import

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Apr 9 13:56:48 BST 2012

I had to teach a class on Friday and it involved NHD Data.

NHD data is supposed to be an ever evolving dataset. The beginning's of
it are 1:24k USGS Topographic Maps. As time goes on and Lidar
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR>becomes more prevalent the dataset
will improve. Tennessee is slated to get a high resolution dataset of
NHD data collected form photogrametrically acquired data in the next few
years.

Because NHD data is based of 1:24k quad sheets (and in come cases USFWS
Wetland Maps) it's dated - in Chattanooga it's probably 40 to 50 years
old. Streams change. Ponds disappear. Things become channelized. If you
compare it to the NAIP or Bing Aerial Imagery in some cases it's
remarkably close and in some it so far off you wonder what happened.

There is also a second glitch with the data - since NHD is based off the
1:24k topo maps it's not entirely accurate. The USGS changed their
definitions of what consisted of a blue line stream from "it's a drain"
to "it's got water in it". It didn't affect Lakes/Rivers so much but the
blue line streams are questionable unless they are viewed with Aerial
Photography (and in my opinion need to be viewed in Stereo or site visit
to see what is occurring with it).

I say all of that - it's better than having nothing. At least here we
can improve it.

Randy

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc