[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Apr 10 00:39:23 BST 2012

* Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> [2012-04-09 17:40 -0400]:
> Is there a reason there are no shields or fallback ovals here on
> Nocatee Parkway?
> http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=15&lat=30.12344&lon=-81.39063&layers=B0
> The way is tagged ref=CR 210 and the relation is
> network=US:FL:CR:St. Johns ref=210.

The short answer is that it appears to be a rendering bug.  The happy
response is that I just finished a reworking of the shield image
generation process[0] which appears to have fixed that bug as a side
effect.

County shield support is still pending[1], so it just gets the fallback
shields for now.

[0] The main benefit is that shield clusters are now generated on demand,
    rather than in a separate batch process.  This should help keep the
    rendered map more up to date.

[1] Including New Jersey county routes.  I took them out because they
    didn't really fit into the code reworking I did.  They'll return when
    I get the general-purpose county shield rendering working.

--- --
Your pet monster should be kept in a secure cage from which it cannot
escape and into which you cannot accidentally stumble.
                       -- Evil Overlord's Handbook, entry 28