[Talk-us] tagging cul-de-sacs

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Tue Apr 10 15:39:16 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Martijn van Exel <mvexel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/10/2012 7:46 AM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
>>
>> I'm experimenting with the Java code from Traveling Salesman
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Traveling_salesman
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/158307363
>>
>> Is this how people generally map these things?
>

> No, I ususally tag the end node highway=turning_circle. There are so many of
> them littered around US suburbia that mapping each and every one of them as
> a circular way would make for a lot of not too useful data, not to mention a
> lot of work.

So we have 2 people in favor of discarding the circular portion of the
Way and just using a node with highway=turning_circle.  I actually
also use this approach on roads such as this:

I distinguish between having a solid paved surface and a traffic
island.  This seems to make sense based on the recommendations for
dual carriage ways (presence of physical separation causing separate
Ways).

According to the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dturning_circle:
"There is no central island/reservation to a turning circle—it's
simply a wider bit of road."

Are you saying that you delete these circular portions of ways and
replace with a node?

Peter