[Talk-us] tagging cul-de-sacs

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Apr 10 19:23:00 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:
> I'm experimenting with the Java code from Traveling Salesman
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Traveling_salesman
>
> I'm making library calls to the routing code and it seems that the
> router does not understand cul-de-sacs mapped as a single
> self-intersecting way.

I can understand why, it's a little nonstandard.  If it's a cul-de-sac
with just a turning circle at the end with no median, I would simply
put the end node in the center of the turning circle and tag it
highway=turning_circle.  You can see a subdivision with several of
these features at http://osm.org/go/T4_w_KHs

If there's an island in the middle, create a circle around the island,
set one-way in the direction of rotation (almost always anticlockwise
in North America), intersect with outlet way, copy outlet's tags to
the ring (think one-exit roundabout minus the junction=roundabout).