[Talk-us] Network tag Re: Highway Shield Rendering

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 13:01:24 BST 2012

* Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> [2012-04-11 17:33 -0700]:
> On Apr 11, 2012 11:48 AM, "Phil! Gold" <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> > From what I've read, all US highways in California should get similar
> > treatment, in that they're signed with different shields than the standard
> > ones.  Are there other regional sign variants for broader road networks in
> > the US (or elsewhere)?
>
> Some US highways (segments of US 75A for sure) and many state highways
> feature generic white circle state route signage, though it's not clear to
> me if this was deliberate or a case of sign shop error, or older signs not
> yet replaced, respectively.

I think I'd prefer to ignore unusual or one-off sign variations like
those.  Let me put it this way: Are there any other places where a local
organization responsible for making and placing signs along a route has an
official policy of placing signs that differ significantly in appearance
from the signs used along the rest of the network?  US Business routes in
Maryland meet these criteria.  Where else is this true?

--- --
main(a){printf(a="main(a){printf(a=%c%s%c,34,a,34);}",34,a,34);}