[Talk-us] Highway Shield Rendering

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Apr 12 21:53:35 BST 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Kristian M Zoerhoff <zoerhoff at sdf.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:52:35PM -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> On 4/12/2012 2:59 PM, Phil! Gold wrote:
>> >* Minh Nguyen<mxn at 1ec5.org>  [2012-04-12 10:06 -0700]:
>> >
>> >I had no idea there were alternate Interstates.  I added it under
>> >network=US:I:Alternate, ref=75.  (Right now, it's rendering as regular
>> >I-75.)
>>
>> Sounds like a bug in the rendering.
>>

>> However, I wouldn't necessarily oppose a separate network tag in
>> this case, since it's clearly not part of the Interstate Highway
>> System. (The same would apply to business Interstates.)
>>
>> Michigan has some 'emergency' Interstates that are essentially
>> detours, but are permanently signed:
>> http://www.stopandgo.org/gallery/trafficsigns/Emergency_plaque.html
>
> Yeah, those are odd. What the description on that page fails to mention is
> that I-94 also passes by the Cook Nuclear Power Plant at Bridgman, so it's
> not just snow MDOT is worried about :-)

How should we tag routes like this?  Oregon has a few "Detour I-5"
routes on smaller (often two-lane county roads) roads where all lanes
get sent the same direction when some dork talking on their cellphone
while driving gets creamed on the motorway route that are posted (and
often have some normally gated routes that round off what would
normally be a four-way stop).