[Talk-us] tiff, dwg and nad83

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 04:43:51 BST 2012

Documentation!  I think what you did is exactly what is needed.  It may or
may not need improvements.  If what is "decided" in the newsgroups is not
put down in the wiki then the discussion was not finished to a point
someone could sum it up for the masses to follow.  Then post a link here
for everyone to review.

There are always different types of people.  Some need step by step
instructions, other just an overview and they research it from there.
Sometimes simply stating which type of instructions before starting is
fine.  If it is something that others will need to know then make a wiki
page and answer by pointing them there.  Especially if it took much work to
answer the question.

Stating up front:
"Importing is generally a technical endeavor and anyone not willing to do a
bit of digging to learn new things will find it frustrating.  This is just
an overview of the steps.  Detailed instructions for some or all of the
steps may be on the wiki under imports (link) and learning to use each
piece of software may also be required."

That said great software design would make imports easy...  It just take a
great programmer that understands the beginner mapper, but can map with the
masters and a LOT of programming. :p

Dale

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com>
> wrote:
> > The exchange between Frank Cox and others about importing data is a
> perfect
> > example of an ongoing problem with this list: Many of the discussions and
> > "answers" are simply too GIS geeky for the vast majority of us.
>
> I'm not entirely sure this is helping to address your concerns, but I
> just created a checklist for importing which should help:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#A_checklist
>
> The goal is to provide a quick overview of the steps in importing
> data. This can certainly be expanded, so please do so.
>
> Replies should probably go to the imports@ list rather than talk-us@,
> since it's not talk-us@ specific.
>
> -Josh

Dale Puch