[Talk-us] Excellent progress, u.s.

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Apr 16 21:52:45 BST 2012

>At 2012-04-12 17:36, you wrote:
>>I see excellent progress in California during the recent eight days
>>of re-mapping.  If you are an editing maniac...
>
>Can you comment on your process? I see very little real, coordinated
>info about tools, concrete solutions, or teamwork. As a formerly
>quite active SoCal mapper, I'm basically just dead in the water,
>wondering how much of my hard work has just been discarded (e.g.
>speed-limits, lanes, turn restrictions, source references, carefully
>aligned geometries, etc.) and whether to bother trying to get it
>back. I can't possibly be alone (?).
>
>I can't even find any info on the redaction. What is the plan? Where
>is it now? How can I see what it's doing? Shouldn't there be a big,
>bold link to this kind of info on the wiki main page?

I almost forgot:  in step 7 of my previous message, the Delete step
may inform you that you are deleting from a relation.  This is
especially true of motorways, which are often described with
relations.  If this is the case, go ahead and confirm the deletion
from the relation, making note of WHICH relation(s) this element is a
member of.

The following is true ONLY if you know how to edit relations, and if
you don't, please learn!  AFTER re-stitching the new segment back in
by merging nodes at intersections, you MUST open a relation editor
window for EACH relation for which this segment was a member.  I do
this by clicking on an element which is RIGHT NEXT TO the deleted
element, and using that selection to scroll down (in the
Properties/Memberships windowpane) to its relations, and then
double-clicking that.  When that relation window opens, I position it
so I can see the current selection (which is also highlighted in the
left-bottom part of the relation elements), AND the deleted segment.
I then click the deleted element (in the main JOSM window, not the
relation edit window) and this puts it as a selection on the
right-hand-side of the relation editing window.  Depending on order
and direction, I then click the "second" or "third" button
(insert-before-element or insert-after-element) to properly insert
the new member back into the relation.  If it was all stiched back
together properly, you'll see the arrows "line up" (and have
black-connected dots, not red-unconnected dots).  If a member element
needs a "forward" role (or another role), it is usually obvious from
that role being on the surrounding members.  Use your judgement and
experience to add back in a role (forward, for example) if it is
necessary.

SteveA
California