[Talk-us] tiff, dwg and nad83

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 01:30:16 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> That is exactly the wrong message. Between the lines, it reads: "Importing
> is for professionals and you can earn laurels by doing it right."
>
> The message we should be sending is:
>
> Imports are nearly always bad; they are nearly always done by people who are
> not local *or* who who import way more than they could personally survey
> (and therefore way more than they ever have a chance to keep tidy).
>

> Imported data turns down potential new mappers. So importing is not a
> technical challenge, it is a community building challenge - you have to
> design your import in a way that grows the community, and if you cannot do
> that, then don't import.

I think this point is controversial, so let's stick with some points
that aren't:

1. In our history of imports, a very small percentage have been good.
2. We have no current technology to keep an import synced with another
data source, so the data goes stale quickly.
3. Many imports are of datasets we don't want in OSM and we have
little/no mechanism outside community vetting to discover that until
it's too late.
4. Most imports are bad, and most imports are left in OSM, which means
we have tons of garbage in OSM. Garbage in OSM makes the map harder to
work with for mappers, for tool-makers and for users.

- Serge