[Talk-us] tiff, dwg and nad83

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:09:16 BST 2012

On 4/18/2012 4:02 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
>     It's interesting if you look these up on the GNIS site. What's the
>     source for them? Well, they got a local phone book and looked up
>     schools and churches :)
>

> Most of these came from scanned USGS maps. In some cases they were OCR'd
> and in other cases they were typed in by a human. I believe those maps
> had similar symbology for a "historical" POI and "current" POI, thus all
> the old/out of date information.

USGS topos don't have church names, in my experience. When I look up
local churches I see the following two sources:
Citation:	White Pages Telephone Directory. www.whitepages.com. Use Form
FL-T74/City/Date Orlando/2006
Citation:	Southern Bell, Greater Orlando Yellow Pages, including Apopka,
East Orange, Lake Buena Vista, Montverde, Oviedo, Reedy Creek,
Windermere, Winter Garden, Winter Park and other nearby communities,
Bell South Advertising and Publishing Corporation, 1986, 1476 pp.
Contains listings of churches. p291

Presumably they used TIGER to geocode the addresses. I've seen some that
are in the right position for the address number but on the wrong side
of the zero line.