[Talk-us] Parks, etc. Points or outlines

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:15:12 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/2012 10:21 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
>>
>> I think the reason they exist is the same reason why cities always
>> have a node in addition to their administrative boundaries. And
>> states/countries too far that matter. Most renderers render the name
>> from the nodes, not the admin boundaries.
>

> This makes sense for a city, where the center/downtown is not the centroid.
> But for a county or larger, you usually want the label at the centroid of
> the polygon, so the node is redundant.

Yes. Although there are of course some big edge cases. Alaska and
Hawaii would shift the label of the US oddly to the west. Although
actually I think for exclaves like this Mapnik actually renders
multiple labels which would also be a little odd. Opencyclemap seems
to render city names from boundaries and ends up with multiple
duplicate city names sprinkled around the map. I'm guessing this has
to do with how multiploygons are imported by osm2pgsql. But
regardless, counties could almost certainly be rendered from their
areas instead of nodes even if other features remain on nodes.

Toby