[Talk-us] Parks, etc. Points or outlines

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Wed Apr 25 19:54:36 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Gregory Arenius <gregory at arenius.com> wrote:
> If there is a point and an area I keep the area and delete the point.  If
> the point has data I'd like to keep, as is often the case when I trace a
> park on the map and want to use the name and other info from a GNIS point I
> simply copy the attributes over.  To easily copy the attributes over in JOSM
> I select the point, control+c to copy, select the way, and then
> control+shift+v copies in the attributes.  I think I used to do this in
> Potlatch but that might have been the old one.

The problem with the copy & paste method is that there might be cases
where some values are different and you won't notice (e.g. slight
spelling difference in name). These and other problems are why I
improved the "Replace Geometry" command; it prompts you if there are
differences (i.e. conflicts) with tags or relation memberships, and
transfers the node for you to maintain history.

-Josh