[Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:59:24 BST 2012

On 4/26/2012 2:54 AM, Paul Norman wrote:
> I happened across an import of Fresno castradal data from mid-2010 in the
> Fresno area. http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.77&lon=-119.81&zoom=15 is
> the general area but I haven't fully explored the extents. For a view of the
> data, see http://maps.paulnorman.ca/imports/review/fresno.png

The biggest problem with this import is that it's impossible to download
any reasonably-sized area of Fresno for editing, because of how the
landuse polygons end at every street and alley. It's even worse in the
suburbs where the streets curve, adding many nodes to each way.

(By the way, the word is cadastral, not castadral. And I see nothing
wrong with using such data as part of a semi-manual process of creating
larger landuse polygons for neighborhoods, and commercial strips
surrounding highways. See Orlando, FL for a (mostly fully-manual)
example of how this works.)