[Talk-us] administrative boundaries and Nominatim

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 14:57:42 BST 2012

On 1 August 2012 14:48, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for jumping on this discussion.
> Does the population tag have any significance to Nominatim?

We import it as an extra tag but it has no current effect on
importance / ranking.

Using wikipedia turns out to simplify the ordering problem a lot - it
lets us compare not just places but things like the statue of liberty
or, for instance, is 'Paris' the beauty salon in london more important
the Paris, Texas - we can do complete apples to oranges comparisons
and get quite reasonable results.

But this does assume we are able to link them to the correct wikipedia
article and explicit tags definitely help there!
--
 Brian