[Talk-us] Tracking Interstate Review/Cleanup Progess

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:27:12 BST 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM, the Old Topo Depot
<oldtopos at novacell.com> wrote:
> I'm asking everyone performing clean-up/review on the US Interstates to
> please take a few extra minutes and update the pages at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:JohnANovak/Interstates
> andhttp://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:JohnANovak/Interstates3d as you
> progress to help everyone coordinate work and reduce duplication of effort.
>
> Thanks to those folks who have been updating status.

Filled in what I could.  I'd suggest a good starting place for people
looking to see if routes are complete is to use the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways_Relations
links, particularly the relation checker ("check" links) - directional
relations should be in one piece, bidirectional relations should be in
two pieces. But I'd also recommend loading the relation into JOSM and
checking to be sure all the ways are properly attributed - sometimes
the motorway tag got redacted, for example.  Missing ref tags and
oneway tags are also pretty common.

Also, http://map.project-osrm.org/ is useful for finding bits that
don't connect up right, although it's usually 24-48 hours behind the
live map.  And sometimes it routes weirdly (for example, routes
through Toledo used to like driving across downtown rather than
staying on I-75) because there are map "shortcuts" that are really
signal-infested slogs - usually that's fixable by going into the map
and just adding all the missing traffic signals (usually pretty easy
to spot from the aerials at high zoom), although an eventual field
survey to tag the speed limits would be nice too.

Chris